It is so much easier to drastically alter a piece of furniture when it is just not cutting it as its original purpose. It being a freebie is also a great motivator to go to Mr. RTI with a jig saw and a plan.
This dresser had some repairs already. the top had been replaced with some plywood and a pretty rough trim added. The corners had not been mitered, it was pretty rough. A few drawers were coming apart but the frame work was pretty sturdy. Solution convert it in to a bench with drawer storage.
I removed the drawers and we cut the legs down to remove some damage. We also removed the top that was very sturdy and would make a great bench seat.
We measured what Height we wanted it to be and marked all sides....
Cut it and reattached the top. I used Southern Honey paint and distressed the final finish.
I added vintage hardware as it was...and each drawer had different hardware ......
I decoupaged the drawers with vintage children's book pages in black and white. (no worries the book was in pretty bad shape I just managed to get enough pages)
My thoughts on this: A perfect item to sit at the foot of a bed to hold linens or a blanket. A perfect addition to the mud room, a place to sit and take off your shoes and store them in the drawers. Either way it is used it was a fun and rewarding project!