Friday, July 15, 2022

Drying Herbs for Kitchen Use. How to dry herbs

 



Herb growing and drying is an easy kitchen "preserving" task .  Herbs do not require a lot of care and three of the Five herbs that I dried today are perennial and return every year.  Oregano, Sage and Rosemary return every year.  Rosemary and Oregano are  evergreen in growing Zone 8 a .   I normally can find these in my garden year round.  Sage will semi die back sometimes offering a  sparse leaf every now and then in the winter months.   Basil and stevia I replant every year.  Basil is very easy to grow.  You will need a sunny spot with soft soil.  I cast seed every year in a pot or corner of the garden bed and water regularly until I have a healthy plant then just water weekly .  Stevia I pick up at local nursery or Lowes.  It is a fast growing plant that pinching it back increases its growth.

The first task is to collect your leaves .  Select blemish free leaves that look healthy.  Wash them well and drain as much of the water off that you can.  I place my herbs on a old towel and pat them gently dry.  Drying the leaves will make the drying process go a lot faster.  


I use a dehydrator to dry my herbs.  It is quick and neat.  You can use your stove and microwave as well.  Google offers may ideas on this process if you do not have a dehydrator.  
Once I have my leaves washed and patted dry I arrange them on a dehydrator tray .  Try not to mix your leaves unless you are making a mix.  





I took about 4 hours to dry completely. I checked  the trays about every hour rearranging leaves that were stacked .  
I store my herbs in jars with air tight lids.
There is a huge difference in the taste and smell of leaves that have been dried at home verses bought off the shelves.  The cost is minimal, and to be honest gathering, washing and drying are all therapeutic.  Hope you dry a few herbs yourself the winter soups and stews will be tastier.   
Happy Summer!
Sheryl  






No comments:

Post a Comment