Thursday, May 28, 2015

Foot Locker chest up cycle using chalk paint, maps and Decoupage

 On the same excursion that the tables were found so was this foot locker.  It was priced right, in good shape and had the original key.  Who can pass that up?  





The interior had the tray and it was in nice shape as well.  Some of the paper had started to peel but structurally it was nice and sound.  



I elected to add a layer if primer .  I was not using Annie Sloan full strength.   I added some latex blue to some old white and wow what a great color...


I will admit that I may not have needed the primer because distressing this was hard work. The paint did not want to let go!





The final step to the outside was to wax.  And here is what I used:


I lucked up and found a full can of SC Johnson paste wax at the Goodwill a few months back.  The brush is by plaid and is a large wax brush.  It retails for 19.99 I had a 40 % off coupon making it roughly 12.99.  I like the brush.  I does what it says applies even wax on different surfaces and cleans up wonderfully with dish soap and water.  I have purchased another one and it is used for dark wax only.   Johnson paste is very very easy to use.  It hardens and gives a glass like feel.  It is affordable even new.  I like the fact that this wax does not seem to soften as easily in diverse temperatures.  Annie Sloan wax in my opinion does soften and become sticky when exposed to heat.  I have a booth that this will go into .  The owner does not run the air at night so the building can heat up.  Johnson paste wax will remain hard.   



The end handles were rotted and one was missing.  I had some sisal rope that was in a basket kit and it made some nice handles.  

I needed to address the inside.  I still have maps so maps it is.  



Modge podge is a time consuming method and is messy.  However it is also sorta Zen ...relaxing and the progress is instant.  This is a big job requiring a lot of glue.  I mixed my own modge podge with Elmer's Glue all (A huge Jug 128 oz at Lower was 14.99  Wood glue you can use,it will dry stiffer) and water.  2 parts Glue 1 part water.  Here is mental note:  The paper process is wet pulp that is strained pressed and dried to into paper.  Wetting it reverses the process. The thinner and older the paper the more fragile it is.  Make sure that you are prepared to work quickly if using old paper.  You also may want to back your water off when mixing your modge podge.  This project called for less water.  The maps that I used were dated before the 1990's and map paper is not always good paper.  You may want to consider cutting the large sheets and working them back together on your surface .  You can control the air bubbles a little easier.  And make sure that you hands are wet if you are touching tacky glue.  If you hands are dry the paper Will stick to you and lift off of your project making a mess.  


The final process is DRYING.  The Sun on the new deck came in handy this day.

I hope that you have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by.
Sheryl


9 comments:

  1. Love the maps inside the trunk. I do that a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maps are such fun! So glad that you stopped by! Sheryl

      Delete
  2. sheryl this is awesome love the color and love love the maps thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ...and thanks for stopping by the RTI...

      Delete
  3. I love this project! It inspired me to pick up a box of 1960's maps at a yard sale recently and now I am in search of something fabulous to try this on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by..and the Sky is the limit...make sure you share your project....

      Delete
  4. Love the tips about papering the inside of the trunk - beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MS. Donna...I have done a few of these and they get sold quickly in my booth....Hope you give it a try.

      Delete
  5. Regardless of whether it is a divider mounted, floor, or compact unit these key lock boxes offer a basic and helpful answer for sorting out and holding all keys beyond anyone's ability to see.Best Key lock boxes

    ReplyDelete