Sunday, April 19, 2015

fun out door lighting..Chandelier conversion to out door solar light

I had walked by this light fixture a few times at the local Bargain Basket Thrift Store and finally bought it when I noticed it was 90% off making it a buck fifty.  Who can pass that up?  Right?  So it has hung in the woman cave for a while on the back wall until this spring.  I decided to convert it to a outdoor Chandy.  It was a fun and educating project....

The results I think are pretty cool.
Yep those are .97 cent solar lights that you can pick up at most Walmarts..My least favorite place to be....Here are the rest of the tools that you will need....Spray paint ...I recommend something suited for outdoors....Dremel with cutting wheel...You can read about this tool Here...glue gun...pliers that will cut wire...and heavier duty ones that can remove the chain.



I removed the inner light bulb holders with the dremel  , cut the wire on the bottom...and removed the long wire with plug ....and spray painted with Valspar ....I applied three thin coats making sure it was dry between coats.  Then used the dremel to modify the bottoms of the stakes to fit in to the holes at the center of each arm.  I applied a big glob of hot glue in the centers of the arms to ensure that the lights were tight.  I did not go in to a lot of detail on the instructions because your fixture may be different and a different approach may make the project easier.  However I hope that you do get the "Just".  This is a really great cheap project that is unique and fun ...Hint..Mental note...I do have to remove mine from under the Pergola to a sunnier location to charge.  The solar lights do not charge well in the shade. 


Happy Hunting!

I thank you for stopping by!
Sheryl

Sharing with:






4 comments:

  1. Wow - what an awesome idea! I've seen outdoor chandys that have used battery operated tealights but those would be a pain to turn off and on every time you wanted the chandy lit. This is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon....it was a pretty easy project...and the 97 cent lights really look good in it...I hope you find that perfect light fixture to convert..Happy Hunting Sheryl

      Delete
  2. Looks great, love the color!
    Thanks for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete