Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Ladies blue writing desk Bow Front desk up cycle using Chalk paint ...custom color

I picked this guy up at Habitat it was a  little more than I wanted to pay, however loved the lines so got it...


Here is the before love the bow front drawers and the trim....even the hardware was pretty classy.   I debated on refinishing it but a lot of the clear coat was missing so scratch that...way too much work....
I made a mix of what I call Fancy french blue...with a few different chalk paints...getting the benefits of each one! Most of the base is Annie Sloan with Waverly ocean and Southern Honey Claudi bell added to it.  

I distressed and hand waxed the first coat with clear....then the second coat with clear dipped into dark....and blended...and blended. and blended....then wiped off the excess and buffed with very fine steel wool.....

now the hardware.....some Krylon silver paint.....the Metallic line and some steel wool to buff and distress.....


And the drawers are done....


 


All 9 of them!!



Now the desk needed attention.....I noticed that I was getting bleed through in some areas where the top coat had chipped off.....I was out of shellac so I resorted to....

Primer...in a spray can....and it worked like a charm...the added surprise is that when I distressed the desk the white in some places looks very "cool"....ah yea my nail guy loves me!



I just sprayed it on the bleed through...let it dry and painted over...easy peasy...and worked like a dream....










She was worth every bead of sweat....and will be available for sale at Antiques and Fine Consignments of Camden ..Beside Habitat....

Hope this post finds you happy and Healthy...

6 comments: