Thursday, December 15, 2016

Sentimental work bench..More work space! Woman cave shop upgrade

It has been a while since I have posted simply because the struggle has been real this year.  With that being said this post is bitter sweet.  We experienced a substantial lost in our family this year ..My father.  Stage 4 lung cancer and the complications of chemotherapy won.  After all of the arrangements were made and the dust had settled my mother informed me that anything in Daddy's shop I could have..those were his wishes. 
 He had stashed in a pile some poplar boards they had been there for over 20 years and beautiful.




  I, with some power tools and things that reminded me of him, took the boards.  I had no idea what I wanted to use them for....maybe some projects to resell ... I was not sure then, Mr. Red Tin Inn suggested that I use them for something for me.  He suggested a work bench in my shop and shelving in the laundry room.  (two places that gets a lot of use)  I hesitated at first on the work bench but Mr. RTI's words "what better way to honor your father than to use something he left you (literally) as a foundation for your work.  I was convinced......

This is where I started.  A modge podge of surfaces.  I did want to keep the rolling kitchen island now shop work surface.  


We decided that two boards wide was a good size and then measured how long we wanted the bench to extend down the wall as well as how high.  We removed the rolling metal bench I have plans for it later.  




Our Volunteer helper for today!



The frame was built and installed on the wall...using hefty wood screws through the frame into  wall studs .


The top was installed and the center leg is a 4x4 fence post that was in my stash.


The end post is a 2x2.  We left enough room on the back wall to store the router table I inherited.  I did add locking casters to the table feet so that I could roll it out easily.


The wood was extremely dry from being stored for 20 plus years so I elected to tint some hemp oil with stain and give it a few coats.  And yes it dried with out being tacky.


This project turned out better than I expected.  Mr. RTI has done it again!


The bench is high enough to house the rolling cart ...this extends my work space and is a great drying area or smaller projects.  He also took into account the height of the drill press making sure that it would sit on the top.  (I will have to admit I have a small step stool I have to stand on if I am using it,  I also inherited the drill press and grinder)




The singer base from the first shop photo.  Love the new rustic sorda steam punk look this is in my booth.




Some Thoughts for the Season:
The Christmas traditions are going to be hard this year with the loss of my father however the celebration of Christmas is still going to be a marvel to behold. The commemoration of the beginning of a prophecy so great that thousands of years later it is still celebrated and believed. The birth of the Messiah, the Savior and deliverer; THE BEGINNING of,the promise, that at this very moment the ones that you miss and love are on streets of gold . They are without pain and brushing shoulders with angels. Although the traditions of Christmas will be missing loved ones...the spiritual celebration will be full of hope and love and belief. LET'S NOT FORGET WHAT WE ARE REALLY CELEBRATING!

Love and Cheer from My home to Yours....

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss but what a wonderful way to remember your dad. You can literally put your hands on him every time you work on something. What a connection. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, and yes every time I get out there he is with me. Merry Christmas to you as well...Love from my home to yours!

      Delete