Wednesday, July 20, 2016

China cabinet upcycle

I am in the process of updating the master bedroom in the house and finding more floor space is a primary goal.  In the effort to  meet my goal I have started thinking out side of the box  china cabinet.  


This is a water damaged barn find that has some great lines..and character....


It had damaged feet so I just cut them down to the good wood.  took about 3.5 inches off....




Glued up as much veneer as I could salvage and removed what I could not...note the interior back....


I made a nice neutral mix of paint with a splash of blue..

.

I applied the paint in thin layers and in some places the yellow was peeking out...and that was fine..because I did a very mild distressing.  


The warped back was covered in Audubon bird prints.  You are none the wiser if you have not read this post....

I mounted under the bottom skirt a power strip to plug in the TV and Roku....this hides the chords nicely...

I use this for jewelry storage and keepsakes ....and it holds the TV and Roku.....


I purchased reproduction castors from Lowe's ..drilled the legs out and added 2 inches back to the height and rolling makes it easy to clean under and easy to  get to the back of the TV If we should need to.  


Vintage glass deviled egg dishes work great for jewelry storage as well as smaller dishes....





A wooden textile spool works great to stack watches and bracelets on that I do not wear that often.  
The white boxes hold vintage and keepsake jewelry that I do not wear but want to hold on to...



Since the the locking mechanism no longer worked I replaced it with a very special pull .  It was a gift from a wonderful friend.  She purchased it while she was in Italy ..it is hand painted and I love it.


So the china cabinet:

Replaced this.....beautiful as it is....to see and find what you are looking for was a pain....


and on of these.... 
 The style I have is a little wider and it has found a more useful space in the home office....

Image result for 3 shelf ladder book case

So yes I achieved my goal to save some floor space....about 9 square feet ...and I will take em!!!
And the final cost was less than 30 bucks....

I will have to say to scale down is a liberating process....I am on a roll...next will be the closets.....
Sheryl




No comments:

Post a Comment