Sunday, January 24, 2016

From gnarly old desk to hip craft room workstation

I will have to admit that when I first acquired this beat up desk I had grander intentions.  However Necessity stepped in and I changed gears and I am glad that I did.  We were rearranging Crash's room and my metal work desk ended  up in his room...Great Fit for him however it left my craft room with no center work space.  
I had this mess sitting in the shop is was part of a barter for painting.  Great bones, two generous drawers and a lot of work....




I had envisioned something graceful!  Something simple ..something not so SAD.


I cut the Sides out with a Jig saw...and managed to keep all ten fingers in the process....





Next was to smooth out the  edges that were cut away....with heavy grit sandpaper...followed by medium...I had cut the panels  very close so it was a lot easier to sand.

I choose Annie Sloan graphite to cover the white..and to dry brush the flat black that was already on it.  I also made sure that  I painted all of the raw wood.  The drawer runners...and the bracing that was now exposed.  

For the large drawers I had some oriental wrapping paper and clear square knobs, both found and Good will for less than 3 bucks total...I decoupaged the papers and added the knobs......


And yes that bottom front rail is crooked...It has been addressed ....The whole desk including the drawer fronts have been waxed with MinWax Clear wax and buffed,  


 

After some cleaning and tweaking I am pleased with my work space.  I am thinking of installing bed risers a few inches higher would be easier on the back.



The bottom rails now hold Cola crates for storage......


A simulated wood wall pocket on the side for a quick access to scissors.  



And power plug run to it...and yes that is duct tape holding the cord in the crack on the floor....Hey it works ...and I love the on off switch on it...also a brass  screw to hold a fabric ruler.  


This side had a recycled board added.  I mounted a wire paper basket to hold more rulers and a screw to hang a cutting board. I use it with my glue gun or a sturdy surface to set grommets.  



The drawers I lined with a few scraps of nonskid  Rug padding( I am glad I decided to keep) .


 I am sure there will be more changes in this room and on the desk but for now I like it....and it does match the "Did I say Thank you "(just click to read that post)) storage drawers and storage cart....
I hope you have been motivated to revamp a work area or even see a piece of furniture in a new light...Stay warm and Safe!
Sheryl




7 comments:

  1. Now THAT is an amazing transformation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheryl,
    Wow! You created a make it work space. I believe you will use this work table for years to come. The amount of thought and storage along with design makes it a happy place to me.
    Happy Creating,
    Karen Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen...and thank you for stopping by. Hope to see you again in blog land!

      Delete
  3. I was thinking about you today, and decided to come see what I've been missing. I wanted to share this thought...I really enjoy looking at your items because you don't seem to get trapped in one style. You try new things. I appreciate that! For example this work station compared to the French inspired mirror and headboard. I admire your creative versatility! I'm still stalled on my big, round, orange chair project. I'll let you know when I dive in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow what a nice comment...thank you..every piece speaks to me....so it is all different I really use the same color paint..I find my self mixing it...to get a new color of look...and when you are ready to tackle the orange monster keep me posted!!!! Hope to see you soon in the store!!

      Delete
    2. Wow what a nice comment...thank you..every piece speaks to me....so it is all different I really use the same color paint..I find my self mixing it...to get a new color of look...and when you are ready to tackle the orange monster keep me posted!!!! Hope to see you soon in the store!!

      Delete