Tuesday, April 21, 2015

wearing the flatware....




 I have a hidden love affair with things that have natural patina.  Silver plate being one of them.  I happened across these vintage silver plate tea spoons at the Habitat store...and for .25 cents a pc I splurged...The plating was in rough shape and I felt they were unusable as flatware but as a bracelet they would rock.

So with a hammer and metal block..I pounded the spoon heads flat....
Bent the handles in a curve using an old textile spool...I then polished them with a dremel with a polishing brush attachment.


The thing I love most about these items...they will naturally tarnish again...the more you wear them the prettier they will be.  Very rustic and unique....Mental note older spoons are a softer metal and a lot easier to manipulate...the newer the spoon the harder to flatten and bend.  Tools to consider...Anvil...hammer...and polishing method....


Thank you for stopping by.

10 comments:

  1. That bent so nicely - how do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spoons were vintage and a lot softer metal then newer spoons...I used an old wooden large textile spool to shape it as I bent it...the trick is to not over bend in one place keeping the curve uniform. Thank you for stopping by.I hope you give this a try.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sheryl. I just bought some silverware at an estate sale to try this with.

      Delete
  2. sheryl this is adorable, you are so talented xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and Thank you for being such a great guest on my blog!

      Delete
  3. So pretty, and unique...great idea!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheryl, what a great idea. An original item to wear. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ...I am glad that you like it and took the time to leave a lovely comment. sheryl

      Delete