They appeared to be from the 1940's or before one was just a card bard carry case the other was a much more high end case that may have some sort of lizard skin covering. The stress and years on them equaled them out.
The cardboard case had a stress tear on the top I approached it with modge podge smoothing it out n letting it dry . I also sealed the damage from the inside using modge podge. When the damaged area was close to dry I hid it with some really neat book pages from a 1960's writing book.
The end results I am very pleased with. What a great storage case a perfect fit on top of that stack in the house...
The next case was a bit more of a challenge. It was literally dry rotted and flaking off....The interior all though neat was also dry rotted .
And I approached it with modge Modge as well. A good gooey coat and ran it under the peeled areas and let it dry completely. Then I used Rustoleum Ultra Cover Gloss (it protects and dries realativly hard) to protect the outer case. I applied several coats, allowing it to dry until not sticky, concentrating on the edges and damaged areas.
the inside was removed and I turned to old map pages and Modge Podge...
The end results even I think are stunning...How unique! A warm funky completey utillitarian piece of art work.
This was a fun and challenging project. So the next time you see that tired case at an unbeatable price pick it up ..There is HOPE.
Thank you for stopping by!