Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Kitchen Stool make over..metal step stool


I have to admit these up cycles are Fun .  The first one you can see here. This  actually was my grandmother's stool.  My parents had stored it in a building, that they kept the pool chemicals in, and major rust had set in.



I took some steel wool to the chrome on this item and, figured out real quickly, that I do not have the elbow grease nor the ambition to clean it all up.  So I resorted to old faithful "Rustoleum".  The color I am attached to now is Oil Rubbed Bronze not only is it a fantastic color but the coverage is awesome.  I also had a stash of remnants that were on sale for 50% off at Jo Ann's and found a perfect cheap match.
The end results!

A fab. Kitchen step stool!


The fabric is the perfect color!


The paint has disguised the rust.


Even from the side this one looks good!

Hope that you are warm on this brisk fall day!
Sheryl
SOLD
Sharing at:






  

Savvy Southern Style
Furniture Feature Fridays From The Farm Blog Hop
Boogieboard Cottage
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

Link party at:
Planned in Pencil

Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home
Three Mango Seeds
By Stephanie Lynn

9 comments:

  1. how did you attach the fabric? I have a chair just like this and have no idea how to add the fabric. Your chair looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look on the bottom of the chair you may see metal tabs. If you do these are the tabs that hold the cover down. I bent them straight on this stool and lifted the cover off...removed the old plastic cover and attached the new..I did use a hot glue gun to lightly tac the new fabric down and trimmed it close so that you do not have so much bulk ...then just put the cover back on bending the tabs back over with a pair of pliers...I hope your up cycle goes great please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions...Maybe the next stool I up cycle I should make take more detailed photos showing how I did it....if you look back at some older post I also up cycled one with burlap...Thank you for stopping by I hope this helps..

      Delete
  2. Love it in black! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a stool just like this that I wanted to re-do. I was also wondering how to get the old plastic material off and the new on. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by..It is good to see ya! This was incredibly easy...hence why I accomplished it....If you look on the bottom of the chair part of the stool...you may see metal tabs. If you do these are the tabs that hold the cover down. I bent them straight on this stool and lifted the cover off...removed the old plastic cover and attached the new..I did use a hot glue gun to lightly tac the new fabric down and trimmed it close so that you do not have so much bulk ...then just put the cover back on bending the tabs back over with a pair of pliers..Ta Daa...and I painted this stool all intact (of course before I put the new fabric back on.)....and even hit the bottom of the seat as well.....I hope that your project comes out great! Please contact me if you have any more questions...

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh my mom had one of those exact stools except not as darling as yours. What a cute transformation you gave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaine and thank you for stopping by..I love keeping with the cop and the new Girls at Sunny Simple Life...Merry Christmas

      Delete
  5. Better keep your doors locked.... I would be tempted to "borrow" your new stool! It just begs to be sat in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly you are so funny...actually the stool was still sitting in my booth at Camden Antique Barn Saturday...if you want it...lol...So glad that you stopped by! Merry Christmas!

      Delete